Wednesday, June 22, 2005

So this is part of the "new" CNN, eh?

I turned on my TV this morning and the first story I saw was from Baghdad about residents dealing with a water shortage. At the end of the piece Miles O'Brien made a real heartless comment. I wish I could remember exactly what he said (unfortunately I didn't record it), but it was just some flippant comment that left me with the feeling that [he] couldn't care less about the plight of the people in the story.

A short while after that, Soledad O'Brien was interviewing two brothers from Cuba. One went back to Cuba for a visit from the US and while there he gave his passport to his brother (they were nearly identical) who then used it to leave Cuba for Mexico. Long story short, the brother left in Cuba was arrested when he tried to leave. He was recently released due to the negative publicity.

Here's what Soledad asked one of the brothers.. (paraphrased)

'Did you realize how dangerous this was?'

Now just take a second to think about that question.... (obviously Soledad didn't)

She was asking that question to two brothers who grew up in Cuba!

Instead of "kinder & gentler" CNN seems to be going for "meaner & dumber".

That kind of question is what I got used to hearing from ignorant young journalists during the war coverage, when one of them would ask something like, "where are you going to attack next?"
Or, " Exactly where is that top secret base?"

Maybe it's just that Miles isn't used to getting up this early, and he spoke without thinking. I certainly hope so. I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.
One thing's for certain though, his heartless comments left a bad taste in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but need to be on-topic and civil.