Thursday, June 30, 2005

Thoughts and prayers for servicemen killed

I'd just like to take a minute to express my condolences to the families of the soldiers who were recently killed in the helo crash, and to all the families of all the brave men and women who have been killed/wounded while serving their country.

As a (peacetime) Navy veteran who served just after the end of the Vietnam war, I don't know what it's like to serve during wartime putting their lives on the line for their country, but I have the greatest admiration for those who have.
And despite what any of us think about the legitimacy of this war, the men and women in harms way deserve our respect and so do their families.

Unlike many, especially those who got us into this war, they and their families have my utmost respect and gratitude. They didn't choose the easy road.

I hope President Bush (&Co.) have many restless nights reflecting on what they've done, knowing that Iraq was a optional war. And that they're personally
responsible for all the lives lost, and all the soldiers who've been maimed.

I don't get the feeling that they will ever own up to it. I think they're either in serious denial or some just don't care, somehow rationalizing it, and how sad is that for them and for the country as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but need to be on-topic and civil.